Cosplay: Becoming Sera From Dragon Age: Inquisition (Part 5)

Well, it only took me forever, but here is the final installment of my build information about how I put together my Sera costume. That only took, what, a year? Sorry about the stalled posts, but I’m trying to be better, I really am. For reference, here are the first four parts: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Last time, I discussed how I put the accessories, which means the only thing left were props: Sera’s bow, arrows and quiver. I started with the quiver, because I knew it would be the easiest part (and it was). Here’s what it looks like:

Sera's Quiver

I started out with posterboard because it’s really cheap at Dollar Tree (two pieces for $1). I just rolled it up into a quiver-like shape and used duct tape to hold it together. Then I cut out a circular shape for the bottom, covered it in a cheap vinyl I had, and glued it on. Pretty simple, right? Then I wrapped the whole thing in vinyl and secured it with hot glue, making sure to leave the edges shaped as seen above so there’s a sort of oval hole in the front. Using my awl, I poked holes for the laces. For the laces, I used the last bit of fake leather cord I had. The small straps are leftover brown pleather from the other parts of the costume, with buckles bought at Jo-Ann. Everything is glued on. For a strap, I poked holes at the top and bottom of the cardboard and ran a strip of vinyl through.

But then I had a dilemma. In the original image of Sera, the quiver seems magically attached to her back and there are no signs of straps. This is what happens when game designers don’t actually think about how a costume or props actually work. But I was clever and decided that I’d run the straps underneath the vest and tie it in front to hold the quiver on. It’s not a perfect solution, but it works. Ha! Outsmarted the game developers!

I also used a white Sharpie paint pen for the little loop design at the top and bottom of the quiver. The “cushion” on the inside is just some batting I found at Jo-Ann. And yes, it’s duct taped inside of the posterboard quiver because that’s how I roll.

The bow was also easy, because I had a great tutorial. Here’s the link if you’re interested. I did the bow exactly as it says, although I didn’t sand it properly so my version has a lot of rough edges. Which still works, because it still looks like it’s made out of wood. I used twine for the string and glued it to the tips of the paper mache bow. I painted it with white spray paint, using black on the ends. I also ran a rough brush over each paint layer to give it a more wooden look.

Sera's bow

The handle is a piece of scored craft foam. I also painted a matte sealer layer over everything after the paint dried.

Having a bow, though, also means having arrows. I used the same site for tutorials on how to make those. That information is here. I did not notch the top of the arrows because I didn’t have the tools for that, and I just made arrow tips out of craft foam and glued them on. The hardest part is cutting the feathers (because no two are exactly alike) and getting them strung onto the dowel rods.

Sera's arrows

That was it! The costume was completed. And all that was left was to wear it to a con and enter a costume contest, which I did. And I won! That was last year’s Memphis Comic and Fantasy Con and whew, after that long process of creating the costume, it was nice getting that validation that the hard work paid off.

Sera

%d bloggers like this: