Doctor Who not only makes the list for greatest sci-fi moments, but sits at the top.
We already know how great Doctor Who is, but isn’t it nice when others feel the same? And it seems that a whole lot of others think the series is pretty special. SFX magazine recently polled its readers about the greatest moments in science fiction, horror and fantasy. And what came out on top? One particular Doctor Who episode: you remember, the one, where you cried and cried and cried because The Doctor was saying good-bye to Rose on that beach and he almost said those three little words?
Yes, that’s right. That moment in the Doctor Who episode “Doomsday” came out on top from 96,300 votes. Isn’t that awesome? It is definitely an iconic scene, something more emotional than we’d seen before from the series. SFX said:
Revisionists would have you believe that Who was always a show with emotional impact, but barring a couple of companion departures, that didn’t really become true until the advent of Russell T. Davies.
His most heart-destroyingly tragic contribution was this scene, in which a holographic projection of The Doctor talks to a tearful Rose on a Norwegian beach, with the signal cutting out just before the slowcoach can declare, “I love you.” It’s a moment everyone can identify with because, as Davies put it, “There’s an echo of every loss you’ve ever had.”
We’ve all had to bid farewell to someone we care about – even if it wasn’t forced upon us by the threat of universal destruction – and this eye-moistening moment perfectly encapsulates the agony of break-up.
Yes, all that and more. Here’s the full list:
1. Doctor Who – The Doctor and Rose say farewell at Bad Wolf Bay in “Doomsday”
2. The Avengers – The Hulk destroys Loki
3. Alien – The chest-burst scene
4. Firefly – Mal Reynolds kicks a bad guy into Serenity’s engine intake in “The Train Job”
5. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – Luke discovers that Darth Vader is his father
6. Blade Runner – Roy Batty’s “Tears in Rain” monologue
7. Game of Thrones – The Red Wedding
8. The Matrix – Neo dodges bullets in the bullet-time scene
9. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (novel) – Dumbledore’s death
10. Back To The Future – “Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.”
Source: Doctor Who News