I have to admit that going into this year’s E3, I just wasn’t that excited. Most of the games I’m looking forward to have already been announced and have had trailers released. No major surprises are anticipated and talk of new consoles seems to have been put off until next year. Well, no new consoles, except for one, which was announced last year: The Wii U. I found last year’s announcement confusing and uninspired. However, after watching the trailer for ZombiU, a new Wii U title, I’m intrigued. It seems that Nintendo may finally be getting back to its more hardcore gamer base.
So what other goodies did E3 Day one bring?
Microsoft’s press conference opened with Halo 4, which I have to admit, looks epic. However, things seemed to go downhill from that. However, I did think the presentation of Microsoft’s Smartglass technology, which allows you to seamlessly sync entertainment from your XBox to your PC to your mobile phone to your tablet and back again, was pretty cool. I also like that Microsoft is finally giving the XBox an actual web browsing experience, but why does it have to be with the awful Internet Explorer browser?
I completely missed the Sony press conference, but considering I don’t have a PS3, I’m not too disappointed. However, see the below trailers for a a Sony title or two (including Beyond: Two Souls featuring actress Ellen Page).
Game Trailers, Previews and Gameplay Videos
Although I’m not a Halo fan, Halo 4 still looked great in its trailer. I especially liked the Tomb Raider gameplay trailer and of all the games I saw yesterday, this is the one I’m most interested in. And remember my previous rant about Assassins Creed 3 and how the developer stated a female assassin would be wrong during that time period? Well, obviously, that was a huge misdirect because Assassins Creed: Liberation, a PS Vita title, will feature a revolutionary female assassin kicking but. Well played, Ubisoft, but if the game is any good, you need not manipulate your potential buyers.
Other Items of Note
- Nyko and NVIDIA have announced a partnership to co-develop controllers for Android tablets with Tegra 3 quad-core processors.
- Dead Space 3 will hit stores in February 2013!
- Microsoft has announced the game lineup for their 2012 Summer of Arcade promotion: Deadlight, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Hybrid, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD, and Wreckateer.
- Ubisoft announced ZombiU, a hardcore zombie game for the Wii U.
- Sony will be teaming with J.K. Rowling for a new game called Wonderbook. It seems a little kiddie.
- Sony announced that they are teaming with HTC phones to make them PlayStation certified. If this is anything like my Sony Tablet S, which is PlayStation certified, that means you’ll get five games and then be forgotten.
- More PSOne games will be coming to the PS Vita, along with Hulu and Crackle.
- Sony PS Plus members will be getting some free games, including Infamous 2.
[tubepress mode=”playlist” playlistValue=”PL8C29FE564A45A3A7″]